Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Time keeps going by faster at work

Tues. Feb 21 - I went into work today itchin the back of my leg. I was there with Leslie all morning by myself and she is really an awesome boss. My leg was bothering me all morning so I went and visited a friend of mine at the hospital to look at it and he said it was two spider bites. They just put some cream on it and I went back to work. A bunch of boards were getting returned from the weekend so I spent a lot of time in the back. I helped do the paperwork for the trip over the weekend. I had to attend my weekly managers meeting with James at the Admin office and that lasted for almost 90 minutes. Those are getting kind of boring, but they really help me see the total picture of MWR at Sigonella. Back at ITT, James came in with a big package and told me that if it wasn't for me, he'd never get any mail. I've been receiving letters and packages so it's pretty fun. This one was from mom and dad. Thanks. I'll have a sugar buzz for like a month with all the candy in there. If anyone would like, you could send me gummy worms and sour gummy worms if you get bored. They don't sell those over here at all. After work I went and saw Fun with Dick and Jane with all the people from the trip. That was freakin hilarious. I love Jim Carrey. You should all definitely see it if you haven't. Sorry, our new movies at the movie theater aren't exactly new to you. After the movie I went back to my room and fell asleep. I'm still trying to make up for the sleep I didn't get over the weekend.

Wed. Feb 22 - I started on my special project today at work finally. James told me not to freak out about it since it'll be a small group that I'll be taking. When I first received my internship, I went out to lunch with my friend Kendra and she gave me a Top 10 guidebook to Sicily. I was flipping through it and saw the blurb about the Aeolian Islands and that you can sea kayak around them. I told myself that that was going to be one of those things on my invisible "checklist" of things I must do while I'm here. It's five gorgeous islands with an active volcano on one of them. I immediately thought about that and that's what I'm going to plan around. I asked the Italians at ITT if they knew of any details and they told me about a campsite that they use when they go to the island of Lipari. It's got bungalows and their not badly priced. We own 11 kayaks so I figured that with a driver and myself, I'll only be able to plan the trip for 9 people. That's okay though, I'd rather keep it small and be able to have more control over the situation. I looked up the bungalows online and they will work out great. Its right on the beach looking out at the sea. I went through about 5 books to find a bunch of information about the island and called Liberty (single sailor program) to tell them to block out the weekend of April 8-9 for my trip. The trip to Malta is the weekend before that but it gives it another week to get a little warmer. Rosario told me he'd like to take the trip with me and he'd be the driver. It's gonna be a blast. I already know a bunch of friends that said they would like to go. The Liberty program is subsidised by the government and is only for single sailors E1-E5. This way I can make the trip a lot cheaper than if I did it through ITT. After work I went and partied at my friends Adam's barracks room and met a ton of new people. We had like 9 people in this tiny little room. Its always nice to meet more people that live on this base now. It took 5 weeks to finally meet people who live on NAS I, but it's working out now. The nights are starting to go a lot faster now that I actually find something to do.

Thurs Feb 23 - The morning at ITT felt like a day at the tux shop. They asked me if I would like to decorate the office for Carnevale to help advertise our trips. I immediately busted out the construction paper, decorations, and make some flyers on the computer. It looked really cool and I cut out "ITT DAY TRIPS: CARNEVALE" in big bubble letters. I found some Mardi Gras colored streamers and masks and finished in about an hour. Everyone was very impressed and told me that I get to decorate the board every week. Leslie didn't think I had that kinda talent I guess. After that I settled down at a computer to catch up on my school reports. I did a weekly report for last week and started on my case studies. It takes so long to write these papers, but I'm really getting into the case studies I'm writing. I worked on my special project some more and everyone is really into what I'm doing. The ladies at the front desk have never gotten to plan a trip so their kinda envious. I forgot tomorrow was Friday since the week was going by so fast so I spent the end of the day getting the boards ready for pick-up tomorrow. There aren't too many boards getting rented this weekend, the weather is looking pretty crappy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yea....fun with dick and jane is pretty funny...it is funny that at the end of the movie they bring up the whole enron thing

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»