Monday, January 23, 2006

Day at Work

Thank you everyone for your comments. Their hilarious, escpecially the ones from Amy. Yeah, it's scary to call this work, but hey it is the first week and they just want me to get introduced to the place, right? About the picture situation... I brought my USB cord for my camera yesterday, but it won't even upload em. This sucks, I have some really cool pics but cannot figure out where I can do this. Oh well, I'll figure something out this week when I find some time after class.

Mon Jan 23 - I went to work this morning around 9:30am and started learning how to work the front desk. It's really strange but the snowboard and paintball rentals are much like the Tux Shop. They use binders, make-shift folder separaters, and paper forms for their returns, rental info, and payment methods. It's definitely not as organized or high-tech as I thought it would be. They have computers, but I don't think these women know how to use them. I was teaching one of them how to add columns into Microsoft Excel. It's weird but this place goes through employees a lot since their husbands have to move bases so often. None of them have backgrounds in Travel/Tourism either. When they answer the phones, they don't even know about the places they are sending their customers too. I was really surprised, but two of them just read the info off of the brochures their given from the main trip coordinator, Salvo. Luckily, by next week I should be working directly under him. I just wanted to learn how to work a cash register since I've never had to do that before. At 1pm, I had to leave and go to NAS II and take a Health and Safety class as one of the required classes you have to take. It was about an hour and a half long. I have my IN-DOC training Wed-Fri from 8am-3pm this week. It'll cover everything I have to know and then I'll be finished with classes and training. Once I got back, the rest of the day was fine, I often went in the back when the returns and learned where to put the equipment and how to fix it if it was damaged over the weekend. The customers are all really nice though. A lot of them actually notice I'm new and ask me where I'm from, how long I've been there, how long I'll be there, and what I'm doing here. The women at the front could care less honestly. Another really shocking thing that I'll get to analyze in my weekly reports for school is the level of customer service these women use. They have attitudes over the phones, they work slow when a customer comes in, they don't wear their MWR Sigonella polo shirts that they're all given, and they sit at the counter eating and playing on the internet. It's all good though, theyre fun to talk to. We have our skate park meeting tomorrow with the parents and kids that want to use it. I have to go through some skate videos tomorrow morning to look for people actually wearing protective gear. The skate park will open Thursday and the staff is really worried about a high number of accidents. I guess we'll find out by next week. I did some more organizing and office work to finish up the long day. Today before I left I was offered to go to the Bellini Opera tomorrow night. Yes, I'll be going by myself, but it's one of the most famous opera houses in Italy. She gave me the English translation so I'll kinda be able to follow whats going on. We have season pass seats, but no customers ever sign up. It's $47 so I can see why it's not too popular. I have to get dressed up and catch the shuttle at 4pm and get back home around 9pm. Im excited, we'll see how today goes and if anyone else ends up coming with me. I doubt it, but I've accepted the fact that I'll probably being a lot of things by myself. I hope I don't fall asleep. I'm gonna go head to the commissary and buy some groceries, I'm sick of having to buy food at the food court everyday and then having no food at night or in the mornings. I need a new phone card and some toothpaste too. I'll probably head home and right my Valentine's cards since I need to get those in the mail. 50 First Dates is on, so Ill watch that then go to bed. Goodnight.

No comments: