Wednesday, January 18, 2006

My Beautiful Wednesday

* Before I get started, I'm starting to get concerned about the internet situation here at base. The labs (theres only 2 and they each have 6 really slow computers) are only open until 7pm each night when means I dont have much time to do all this and write my weekly reports. Their still trying to figure something out for me, but its beginning to worry me. Also, I dont know about the picture situation either. I can not take pics on base, thats against the rules, but about the pics I have taken and will be taking, theres nowhere to get them off my camera. None of these computers have CD burners to be able to burn the pics too, theres no Walmart to send them to, and I havent figured out how to get pictures onto my BLOG. I'll probably figure the BLOG thing out Sunday when I actually find some time to be able to sit and ask some questions. I have some really cool pics though that I want you all to see.

Wed Jan 18 - I wake up and get to work at 7:30 and meet Rosario (a guy) to leave for the snowboarding trip on MT Etna. The lady who I'll be working under for Outdoor Rec felt sick last night so she called him. He told me that 5 people signed up to go and we put their equipment in the back of the van and headed to parking lot to wait on them for pick-up. They all arrived and he told me it takes about 45-60 minutes to get to the top of the south side of mountain (volcano). The south side is called Nicollosi. Etna looks like its 10 minutes away though from my front porch. Its gorgeous and today was clear and the first day ive actually been able to see all the way to the top on base. The drive was breathtaking and the first city we passed through is Motta. Its in the guidebooks recognized by its castle on the edge of a mountain with Mt. Etna right behind it. The sun glares onto the castle all day from the way its positioned and on the top of a hill. Thats the view I see out of my bedroom and is the exact picture I showed most of you in my guidebook saying that I hoped that was my backyard. The towns are small with narrow roads, crazy drivers, cars everywhere, steep hills, cars with missing side mirrors, no stop signs, but cute. Yes, Sicilian driving is nothing like you'd ever imagine. These people do not know the concept of merging, blinkers, speed limits, lanes on roads, dotted or solid lines, shoulders, or courtesy. Luckily Rosario is a native and has lived here all his life and knows how to participate in the chaotic driving methods. Motta was gorgeous and we went through a few more towns before we started to head up the mountain on a system of about 20 switchbacks. Half way up, the van started to slide to he had to get out and put snow chains on the front 2 tires. We got up there, the snowboarders got out and headed to the ski lift and lodge. Since Kim, my outdoor rec boss didnt come today, I just had to sit and hang out at the van all day with Rosario. She said I can try snowboarding with the group on Saturday that I'm going to assist with. I can deal with this kind of "work." Hanging around for 8 hours sucked, but I did get cappucinos, a really good sandwich, and met new people from the base. Rosario drove me around some of the mountain so I could take pictures and we walked around one of the craters. It was so windy though that we almost blew right off the edge of Crateri Silvestri. The day went by though eventhough all I wanted to do was take a nap. The ski hill closed early due to the dangerous winds and we headed back home. It was a really cool experience, but I cant wait to go on the hill Saturday. I dont even have to pay to borrow the gear or anything. The ski lift is 12 euros for an all day pass. I cant wait, i might get hurt but Ill have a few days to heal before James gets back. I cant wait. I got back, had to run some arrunds real quick to catch up on some paperwork they had me fill out and now Im in the computer lab until it closes responding to emails and updating this blog.
* I do have some cool news for you guys though: Yesterday, before my boss left, he asked me which big trip I wanted to go on and told me to have an answer by the time he got back. Guess what the two choices are? #1. Feb. 17-20: Carnevale in Venice and Verona OR #2. Mar 15-19: St. Patrick's Day in Dublin! HMMM, tough decision, DUBLIN!!! Finally, loving and wearing green everyday will officially pay off. I hope i really get to go cuz its a $1,500 trip that Ill go on for free. WOOHOO!
* He also told me that they've planned a trip to Malta and a trip to Rome that I'll be definitely be going on within the next 3 months.
* Right now though, my main mission is to think of what I want to do as my special project which is the biggest part of my grade and I have to have some ideas by the time he gets back so I can start working on it. If you have any ideas, please email them to me. He was thinking of trying to put together an Eco-Challenge that includes kayaking, biking, running, hiking, and swimming.

Love You ALL! I'm gonna finally go to my room, watch American Idol (thats on one of the three up-to-date US channels), clean up, and go eat.

No comments: