Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Armed Forces Command Challenge

Wed. June 14 - Instead of working at Take 5 today, I got to help with the Armed Forces Command Challenge all day. This is like a giant field day for all the commands to earn points towards the Captain's Cup. It was so much fun. We started at 11am, but I got out there around 10:30 to start the BBQ. We had a lot of MWR volunteers to help out during the day so it was cool to bond with everyone throughout the day. We cooked tons of hamburgers and hot dogs before the events started at 11:15am. I was in charge of being the ref for Dodgeball along with the other intern, Andre. I had to be the dodgeball NAZI all day long and everyone was goin crazy. When guys get competitive, STAND BACK. I was scared! It was so much fun though. Some of the other activities throughout the day were Blind Volleyball (a huge tarp over the net so you cant see where the ball is coming), intense Kickball, Gladiator Jousting, and Water Tag. More people showed up than we thought, since it was a Wednesday workday and all. A few commands even got the full day off just to participate. The events went until almost 6pm. The whole day turned out to be a lot of fun, hot weather, good food, tough competition, and so much more. Public Works ended up winning First Place and AIMD got Second. They had a little ceremony over at JOX for them and got their pics taken and their tropheys handed out to them. Once I got home, I realized how much sun I had gotten throughout the day and saw the lovely new tan lines on my shoulders that I was gonna have to deal with during the Corpsman Ball.

No comments: