Monday, March 13, 2006

SeaBee Ball

Fri. March 10 - My friend Matt invited me to go to the SeaBee Ball with him this past week. The SeaBee Ball is another version of the Naval Ball, but it's for the Public Works Command. He bought my ticket and his roommate and himself were gonna rent a car for the event. I had heard some great things about this dance/dinner/award ceremony and everyone said that this was a more-fun version of the Naval Ball. **Fast forward to Friday** I went to work today with intentions of leaving around noon so I could go to my hair appointment that was at 1pm across the street at some German lady's salon. I ended up leaving around 12:30 but made it over there with plenty of time to spare. I was growing out my nails all week so I painted them hot pink since that's Matt's favorite color and of course, he had to wear his fancy dress blues (they're actually black though). I went and got my hair done and he came and picked me up from my barracks shortly after. My hair looked alright, it was a little fancier than I've ever had it done. I brought my dress and shoes over there since we had a few hours until we needed to leave for the dance. We were planning on leaving at 5:15 to allow ourselves some time to find the place. Once I got over to NAS II, we walked around and went to the NEX and the computer lab so I could check my mail. We ended up just hangin out at the dorms and I started to get dressed and get all perty around 4. I helped them iron their uniforms and it was a lot of fun getting all dressed up again. I borrowed some shoes from a lady at work and man by the end of the night I had 2 bad blisters. Oh well, I needed to borrow them really bad. I wore my black dress that I wear to weddings, pink eye shadow, pink toenails and fingernails, and my green and hematite bracelet. I looked pretty cute if I say so myself. They all looked so handsome in their dress blues. I was going to a dance with two little sailor-boys. Just kiddin, no wait, really. We got in the car and headed towards a city called Palagonia to a fancy little restaurant/hotel. We got lost a few times, but eventually made it there. I surprisingly saw a bunch of people I knew that I had no idea they were seabees. It was cool, we took a bunch of pictures and found our seats. Everyone just hung out outside and eventually went in for the ceremony that started at 7pm. They had a MC who was absolutely annoying the entire night. There were some guest speakers and awards given out before dinner. It was really neat to see the color guards, everyone standing at attention during the National Anthem, and so on. It was really formal and fancy, but it turned into a huge party shortly after all of that. The food was not too good, barely any of the guys at my table ate the food. I knew what a bunch of it was from workin at Tony's, but the service was really slow and unorganized. After dinner, they had more awards and gave away some awesome door prizes. I won 3 bottles of wine in my goodie bag. Matt was up for an award. Hear this, he is the youngest SeaBee at Sigonella. AWW, how cute. He's a fresh 19. I joked with him and his friends all night that I was his "older" date. His friends are really fun and we all hung out all night together. Matt got an award and had to cut the cake with the oldest SeaBee, the Admiral, and his Command Master Chief. It was cool and I got a bunch of pictures of the night. After the awards, the party and dancing started. We all danced for hours and went home around 1pm. They are really serious about drinking and driving on this base, so everyone had to blow into a breathalyzer before leaving if they were driving. Matt offered to DD tonight so I didn't want to party to hard without him. His roommate Matt was pretty drunk by the end of the night, but altogether it was a total blast. I'm really glad I brought a nice dress over here in case that kind of event did come up. I had snowboarding in the morning so we all just crashed on NAS II to get over on NAS I by 7:30am so I could have time to change and take a shower.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember the Seabee Ball from 1977 held up in some town on Mt Etna. I have been waiting 30 years to post this on the internet. Kevin Spellman, Weymouth, MA 1976-1978